It is commonly known that VLC is the BDMV player which can open and play BDMV files, but errors like "This Blu-ray disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it." always happen and they are difficult to solve. Therefore, in this article, we will explain what BDMV files are and how to play BDMV files with a more professional BDMV Player on Mac/Windows.
What Is A BDMV File
Files that contain the .bdmv file extension are most commonly associated with Blu-ray movie information files. These files describe the contents of an associated Blu-ray movie disc and can include information about the names of the movie files and the directory location of the movie, the movie objects, and the movie file's audio data. (Source: file.org)
Various BDMV files store different information:
• index.bdmv: describes the file contents in the BDMV directory; found in the BDMV and BDMV/BACKUP directories.
• MovieObject.bdmv: describes one or more movie objects; located in the BDMV and BDMV/BACKUP directories.
• sound.bdmv: optional file that relates one or more sounds associated with HDMV
Interactive Graphic streams applications; located in the BDMV/AUXDATA directory.
You might find BDMV files from:
• HD Camcorders' AVCHD folders (BDMV and CERTIFICATE) with M2TS extension files. For Sony HDR-SR11 camcorder, the AVCHD files will bear the MTS extension.
• Blu-ray disc with BDMV folder and files with BDMV extension.
• Ripped Blu-ray DVD movies, the folder structure of which is all contained in a BDMV folder structure with M2TS extension files.
• Blu-ray movie with BDMV & CERTIFICATE folder, one subfolder of the BDMV folder is the Stream folder and in this folder, there is an MTS extension file.
How to Open and Play BDMV with BDMV Player for Windows/Mac
If you want to open or play BDMV folders on your Windows or Mac computer, you should keep two things in mind:
1. BDMV folder is not the Blu-ray first-level directory. Therefore, if you want play BDMV folder, you need to select the Blu-ray folder as a whole, instead of any streaming file.
2. Most of the commercial Blu-ray disc is protected with copyright, so is a BDMV folder. Regular media players (VLC Media Player for example) are not able to play protected Blu-ray movies. In this case, you need a more professional BDMV player if BDMV player VLC not working with protected BDMV.
VideoSolo Blu-ray Player is an easy-to-use player for BDMV folders or BDMV files which are generally ripped from Blu-ray disc movie. This software supports all Blu-ray forms, such as a disc, folder, and ISO files. Also, it acts as 4K BDMV player which can play 4K Blu-ray, DVD files and other HD videos (up to 4K/1080P) and audios in various formats.
Below is the easy guide on how to play BDMV, only 3 steps you can open BDMV files without limitation. VideoSolo Blu-ray Player is also a BDMV player for Mac, but here we only show you how to play BDMV files/folder on Windows because the process is the same.
Step 1. Install BDMV Player
First of all, click the download button above to download and install the BDMV Player on your computer.
Step 2. Open BDMV Folder
To load BDMV folder, you can click "Open Disc" button to directly select the Blu-ray folder and click "OK" button.
Step 3. Play BDMV Files
After loading Blu-ray Folder, you will see a menu list containing Play Movie, Chapter, Audio, Subtitle and Other Titles. You can choose "Play Movie" to directly play the Blu-ray movie. Or you can choose the chapter, audio track, subtitle, etc. you want first.
Tips: While the video is playing, you can also click the "Snapshot" button to take a picture from a video.