Under some circumstance, you will need to compress video files:
1. Some websites or social platforms do not support us to upload video files in big size.
2. Have the desire to transfer videos to others more easily.
3. There is insufficient space on the device to store large video files.
However, many video compressors compromise too much video quality when reducing file size. To find a powerful compressor is not that easy as expected and now we do this complicated job for you. In this list, you can find the best online video compressors to reduce video file size easily. Moreover, they are all free!
Video compression is the process of reducing the number of bits in a video file. In a typical video, its image, audio, and metadata can all be compressed.
Top 1. VideoSmaller — A Bright and Intelligent Compressor
VideoSmaller has an easy-to-use, bright, and beautiful interface. It offers a free method to compress video online. I have uploaded an MKV file on it, and it can compress the file to 50% if I uncheck the "Use low compression level (best quality)". For some of my video files, it can compress to more than 80%. I am satisfied because the video quality is acceptable, and this compressor is so easy to use.
A few minutes after compression is finished, you can download the file with your browser. This site claims that the video you upload will be automatically removed after a few hours to keep the user private safe.
1. Support multiple file formats including MKV, MP4, AVI, MPEG, MOV, etc.
2. Good privacy protection.
1. Support upload video size reaches to 500MB.
2. It can be used on a mobile phone to directly compress the video on your phone. However, I cannot download the video I compress on my iPhone.
3. It can only compress one video at a time.
Top 2. AConvert — Customize Video Settings Easily when Compression
AConvert is also a free online compression tool. It is easy to use because of the simple interface. Unlike VideoSmaller, it can not only import video from your local computer but also online file, google drive, and Dropbox. Video and audio file size can be up to 200M. After I click "Change size, bitrate or frame rate" in Options, it has so many video size, video bitrate and frame rate to choose from. When the conversion is completed, you can save converted files to the local computer, Google Drive or Dropbox too.
1. Change size, bitrate or frame rate easily.
2. Compression ability: you can customize by changing the size, bitrate, etc.
3. Supported 16 output video formats.
1. Max file size is 200MB.
2. Batch conversion is not supported.
Top 3. Clipchamp — Free and Easy-to-use but with Watermark
Clipchamp has different packages for converting video as well as compressing video size, including Basic (this is free), Business ($14/mo), and Enterprise. For the Basic packages, you can compress unlimited videos per month, but with a watermark. When you click on "Customize settings", you can choose high quality, medium quality, low quality then you can compress the video to different file size. However, the compression ability is not that strong compare to VideoSmaller and AConvert.
1. No limitation on video size.
2. Allow editing (Trim, Crop, etc.) before compression.
3. Features built-in integration with social platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, and Vimeo.
4. The upload speed is extremely fast.
5. Support batch conversion.
1. You need to log in with Google, Facebook account or email to use.
2. It cannot keep the original video format. You can only choose an output format between MP4, WebM, FLV, WMV, and GIF.
3. It has a watermark for the Free package. Moreover, a $14 per month Business package would be expensive for a video converter, which is not that powerful in compression in my view.
Another Powerful Video Compressor: VideoSolo Video Converter Ultimate
VideoSolo Video Converter Ultimate is not an online compressor. It is a video compressor that works on Windows and Mac desktop. I put it here as another recommend choice because it is powerful in video compression and may have some advantages that the above compressors do not have. You can easily add local videos, load homemade DVD disc, and then reduce the file size by converting them into different formats, encode, frame rate, resolution, and video bitrate.
There are some advantages that you may need:
1. Provide the preview feature to check if the compressed video quality meets your need.
2. Have a great balance in video size and video quality after compression.
3. Provide output profile including YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc. to directly compress a suitable-format video.
4. Support batch compression and no limit for the video file size at all.
5. Support hardware acceleration when compressing the video with H.264 encoding.
6. Will not collect or analyze user private file like some of the free online video compressor.
You are welcome to download the free trial.
[4 Simple Steps] How to Compress Video with VideoSolo Video Converter Ultimate
This video compressor is really simple to use, it only needs four simple steps to finish the target below.
Step 1. Import a video or an entire video folder into this program.
Step 2. Click the profile bar to select an output profile such as "H.265/HEVC MP4". H.265 is one of the best compress techniques for now. It is supported by YouTube Upload since 2017.
Step 3. The software allows you to customize so many settings, but trying the default settings first will be great too.
Step 4. Start to compress the videos by one-click "Convert".
According to the above introduction, have you found the best video compressor to reduce the video file size? Alternatively, if you have a better suggestion, please tell us by leaving a comment below! Enjoy!