A lot of people listen to music on iOS devices, some of them don't require a very high acoustic requirement, but some are not. They pursue high quality lossless music, such as FLAC, APE and other formats. Nevertheless, you will be stuck with a problem - iTunes doesn't play FLAC! Thanksfully, if you have the right tool then it's possible and easy to get your lossless FLAC albums and songs into iTunes. Now, I will describe here two of the most commonly used methods to convert FLAC files into iTunes. Hope that has the help to you!
Part 1. Can iTunes Play FLAC
FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is an audio coding format for lossless compression of digital audio. The principle is similar to ZIP. Unlike WMV and MP3, FLAC has a high preservation of audio quality. It gives you the sound quality very closed to audio CD which is impeccable for mainstream music maniacs.
However, when adding FLAC files to iTunes for playback, you will be disappointed because this is not working. In fact, iTunes doesn't support playing FLAC files. So what audio formats does iTunes support?
You can find them by choosing "iTunes > Preferences", then clicking the "General > Import Settings". You will find that iTunes supports AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, WAV, but FLAC is not included.
Part 2. Best 2 Methods to Convert FLAC to iTunes
1. Converting FLAC to iTunes Compatible Format
Though both iTunes and the iOS don't support FLAC by default, fortunately, below is the troubleshootings for you to choose.
Method 1. Convert FLAC to MP3
We've known that iTunes supports MP3 which is compatible with most of players. So, converting FLAC to MP3 is the most effective method. To enable this method, what you need is a reliable converter. Here I would recommend VideoSolo Video Converter Ultimate to you. It allows you to convert almost popular formats to including WAV, WMV, MKV, AVI, MOV, FLAC, etc. It is really easy-to-use with a few steps.
- It can convert video and audio files to 300+ formats and devices.
- Include editing functions like clip, crop, rotate, watermark.
- A video enhancer to improve video quality and remove video noise.
- Support converting 2D to 3D and converting 2D to VR.
Step 1.Install & Launch the Converter
Download VideoSolo Video Converter Ultimate and install on your computer following the instructions. Then, launch it.
Step 2. Add FLAC Files
Click button of "Add Files", then select the files that you want to import to iTunes one by one. You can also select the whole folder by clicking "Add Folder" from the drop-down list.
Step 3. Choose MP3 as Output Format
Click "Profile", go to "General Audio", then select "MP3 - MPEG Layer - 3 Audio (*.mp3)" as output format.
Step 4. Select Destination Folder
You can select a folder to save the converted files by clicking "Browse", or skip this step and the files will be saved by default.
Step 5. Convert FLAC to MP3
Start converting by clicking "Convert", just wait a few seconds, you will get MP3 files.
Method 2. Convert FLAC to MP3 Online
If you are in urgent need of MP3 files without much time to download and install a software, you can choose online converting. Convertio is a useful online converter being recommended for many times. It can convert FLAC to MP3 quickly with simple 3 steps.
Step 1. Upload FLAC Files
Open the site directly and you will find FLAC to MP3 by default, just select or drag your FLAC files from Computer, Google Drive, Dropbox, URL on the page, then click "Convert".
Step 2. Download MP3
Waiting for conversion to finish, you can download MP3 file right afterwards.
Part 3. Tips - How to Import MP3 File to iTunes
1. Open iTunes;
2. Click on the "File" menu;
3. Choose "Add File to Library" (or press Ctrl+O on Windows / Command+O on Mac);
4. Then you can navigate through the folders on your computer where your MP3 files are located in a pop-up dialog;
5. Choose the file you want to import, and hit Enter (Windows) / Return (Mac);
6. iTunes will add the MP3 file from your Mac / PC to your iTunes library.
If you want to add an entire folder of mp3. Following the steps here:
1. Choose "File > Add Folder to Library";
2. iTunes will open the "Add to Library" dialog, and let you select a folder;
3. Navigate to the music folder you want to import. Click the "Select Folder" button;
4. iTunes will import all supported audio files and add them to your library.
In conclusion, the 2 effective ways of converting FLAC to iTunes are listed here, if you have other methods, please comment to let us know.