Due to increasing demands for Ultra high definition video, a new video format has risen to the throne – that's H.265, also known as HEVC. Usually, H.265 can bring users higher quality video with the smaller size. So, H.265/HEVC is widely used in 4K videos, Ultra High Definition Television (UHDTV), and even the 8K UHD.
Though H.265 keeps growing in popularity, it is still not accepted by all the mainstream media devices. If you want to play HEVC/H.265 videos anywhere without any hassle, you have to convert H.265/HEVC to H.264, SD MP4, SD MKV, etc. To encode video to H.265 or decode H.265 to other formats, you just need a H.265 converter. So where to find the best free H.265 converter? Find the answer here!
Part 1. Concerning H.265, or HEVC
H.265, also called HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding), is the successor to the currently most commonly used video compression format – H.264. So, it is not a video format, but a kind of video compression standard, which compresses video files to 50% with the most proficient encoding format. Compared to H.264, HEVC/H.265 can offer much higher image quality at the same bit rate. In other words, HEVC/H.265 gains 50% bit rate reduction at the same image quality. H.265 supports a resolution from 260p up to 8K UHD (8192*4320). H.265 will dominate over others in the next five years following the growth of 4K UHD content streaming.
Part 2. Why you Need a H.265/HEVC Converter
• Now HEVC is incompatible with some computers, media player, smartphones, and TVs. So, a H.265 converter is necessary to make the H.265 video acceptable on your devices.
• If you want to get better video quality with your regular videos, you can convert them to H.265 to get much better quality.
• Not all the video editing tools support editing H.265 videos. If you want to edit the H.265 files in iMovie, Adobe Premiere, Windows Movie Maker, etc. you'll need to convert H.265 video to other usual formats.
• You know the HD video is usually very large in size, so you may need to downsize large HD videos with no quality loss. To do that, converting HD video to H.265 is the perfect solution. Because you can get the same image quality but the file size will be reduced to half.
Part 3. Is there Any Free but Good H.265/HEVC Converter?
When it comes to the free video converter, you might think about the Handbrake first. Yes, you are right, Handbrake can encode video to H.265 now. But it will be really time-consuming because HEVC encoding is CPU-taking but Handbrake doesn't support NVIDIA NVENC as well as QSV. I tried some other free H.265 encoders in the market but I am not satisfied with the conversion speed and output quality.
Then, I found the VideoSolo Free Video Converter. I like it so much. It fully supports the H.265 format which means you can convert any video to H.265 easily or convert H.265 video to usual format with fast speed. This program has 6X faster speed because it supports GPU acceleration technology including NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel GPU. See how to convert H.265 videos with VideoSolo Free Video Converter in the next part.
- Easily play Blu-ray Disc/ISO files/folders of all region codes.
- Support playing HD (720p/1080p), Ultra HD 4K videos and DVD.
- Play common video and audio files like MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV, MP3, etc.
- Select preferred language, video quality, audio track and subtitles.
Part 4. Tutorial: How to Convert Videos from and to H.265
Step 1. Download and Install this Program
From the "Try it for Free" button above, you can download the latest version of VideoSolo Free Video Converter. Then install it on your computer.
Step 2. Add Source Videos
Launch this program and you will see an intuitive interface. Click "Add Files" button to add your source videos. You can add common videos to VideoSolo to convert them to H.265. Or you can also add H.265 videos to convert H.265 to MP4, AVI, MKV, 3GP, etc. Multiple videos can be added at a time to convert in batch.
Step 3. Choose Output Format
• Set H.265 as the output format
To convert video to H.265, just click the "Profile" to open output format list and go to "HD Video" to find H.265 and set it as Output format.
• Set other formats as output format
To convert H.265 video to MP4, etc. you can go to "General Video" to select the common video formats. Or you can directly set the specific device as your output format.
Step 4. Start the Video Conversion
When you finish the steps above, you can click "Convert" button to start to convert your H.265 videos for free or convert videos to H.265. Within few minutes, the whole conversion will be finished easily. You can go to your destination folder to check the converted files.
With the GPU acceleration, VideoSolo will save much conversion time for you. Now you can take a try on this best free H.265 converter, it won't let you down. If you like it, there is a pro version for this free H.265 converter which has more professional functions such as converting DVD to H.265 and downloading H.265 video from YouTube.