What is BDMV file? If you like watching Blu-ray movies, you're surely familiar with BDMV files. The BDMV file contains the information of an associated Blu-ray disc such as the name of the Blu-ray movie, the audio data, the movie object, etc. or sometimes called a Blu-ray Disc Movie Information file, but it doesn't hold the actual multimedia file itself. However, you will find it is difficult to play BDMV files on common media players on your computer. So, it is a good idea to convert BDMV to MKV or MP4 for easily playing on more devices.
With this purpose, we'd like to share an easy way to convert BDMV files to MKV with high quality. Also, as an extra, we will show you how to play BDMV files on your Windows (10) or Mac (OS Sierra) directly without any conversion.
Detailed Information About BDMV Files
To better understand the BDMV conversion, the following details of a BDMV file need your attention.
BDMV is a kind of information file, i.e. Blu-ray Disc Movie Information Files. It's contained in BDMV format, which is a modified format of MPEG-2 stream. The surely-supported BDMV files are as follows:
* AVCHD folders (BDMV and CERTIFICATE) with .mts/m2ts file extension from HD camcorders.
* Blu-ray movie with BDMV & CERTIFICATE folder. In this folder, there is a Stream subfolder, which contains a MTS file inside.
* Blu-ray DVD movie with a BDMV folder structure, and in this folder there are files with .m2ts extension.
Concisely, the main files in a BDMV folder are MTS or M2TS videos.
The Reason of Converting BDMV to MKV or MP4
There are mainly two reasons that people want to convert BDMV file to MP4, MKV or other formats:
1. BDMV files normally are in huge size. BDMV files can bring you the in high definition image in video. However, BDMV files are normally composed of many files and in huge size, which affect you to share amazing movies to your friends or stored them on your compute
2. BDMV files cannot be played on most of media players. You cannot play BDMV files on your portable devices, such as iPhone or Android phone. Worse, you're even limited to play BDMV files on the popular media player on your computer, such as Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, iTunes and QuickTime. To solve the compatibility problem, we need to convert BDMV files to MKV or MP4 as they are universal media format that can be played on most of the popular media players and portable devices.
How to Convert BDMV to MKV/MP4 on Windows or Mac
To convert BDMV to other formats, you definitely need a BDMV Converter. Here I recommend VideoSolo Video Converter Ultimate. It works well with BDMV folder from AVCHD camera recorder and Blu-ray movies with .mts or .m2ts extension. In addition to MKV, this software is able to convert BDMV files to 300+ video formats which includes MP4, AVI, MOV, AVI, WMV, FLV, RMVB, etc. Better yet, you can directly convert BDMV to optimized video for playback on iPad pro, iPhone 7, Samsung Galaxy S8/S7, etc.
Step 1. Download and Launch BDMV Converter on Computer
Click the download button to download the BDMV file converter on your Windows or Mac computer. Then, double-click to install it. Open it after installation and you will see a windows as below.
Step 2. Add BDMV (MTS/M2TS) Files
Click "Add File" to add those BDMV (MTS or M2TS) files into the program. Or you can directly drag them to the program.
Step 3. Choose MKV as the Output Format
Choose "MKV" as the output format from "Profile" > "General Video". If you'd like to generate HD MKV videos, you can select " HD Video" > "MKV". Also, you can directly choose the portable device model as the output format.
Step 4. Start encoding BDMV to MKV
Click the "Convert" button to start BDMV to MKV conversion. When the process is complete, click "Open Folder" to find the converted files.
BDMV Player - Play BDMV Directly Without Conversion
If you want to play BDMV files on computer directly without conversion, you can try VideoSolo Blu-ray Player, a Blu-ray disc authoring program that supports playing BDMV files or folder with menu. This best BDMV Player for Windows & Mac is also able to play Blu-ray disc and Blu-ray ISO image files. Moreover, this Blu-ray Player Software can act as a media player to play any media file like DVD with excellent video quality on PC or Mac.
Step 1. After downloading the program, click the .exe or .dmg file to install the program on your PC or Mac. Then, launch the program.
Step 2. Click "Open Folder" button and then "Open Folder". Select the BDMV folder and click "OK". The program will start to load the video.
Step 3. Directly click "Play Movie" to play BDMV on your computer. Of course, you can select the audio track, subtitle, chapters, etc. as you like.
With the best BDMV converter, you can easily convert BDMV to MKV or convert BDMV to MP4 for enjoying on portable devices. However, if your BDMV files are stored in Blu-ray disc, then you can download VideoSolo Blu-ray Player to play on PC.